Friday, September 24, 2004

Something about English

I know I could be a bit boring sometimes (there is an Spanish expression that is better to use here instead of boring, but it had no translation into English, it's "pesado"). But in a week it'll be my last complete day in Spain.

My fellow blogger and friend Colin received a visit from England. So I had another opportunity to check some of my feelings about Englishman. So as I expected they were really nice. I really like them so I'm very glad. But I had a chance to probe something that was in my mind but I couldn't check before.

Let's be a bit critic about Englishman for the first time. As this blog is over all dedicated to English people, that's why I write in English, I have to be cautious being critic, but I don't really want. I just expect my English friends continue being my friends after this.

The point I want to talk about is clothing. I realized what kind of clothes Englishman wear. I'm sure it's perfectly normal in England, but here... English "old" man dress exactly the same kind of clothes, and they're far away from Spanish standards. As I saw Colin dressing really well sometimes, others it wasn't really of my own taste. But I couldn't say a word about that subject without a bigger population to compare (that's statistics).

English wear really strange shirts and trousers. From a Spanish point of view I could say they're horrible, I'm sure for them they aren't. And all Spaniards could see from a really long distance the coming of an English couple. As Spaniards link English clothes with nice tweed jackets and coats when they see those bright brown trousers shorter than Spanish's, I mean you can see the socks, grey socks, they get horrified. And sometimes they even wear square decorated trousers with the same grey socks. So for a Spaniard it's not fashionable to be able to see the socks, and specially when they're white or grey.

Of course it's not only a question of clothes. I don't know any Spaniard with white hair. There's some with grey hair but not white, specially in women. So if we put togheter clothes and hair, and red-white skin, English look completely different than Spaniards.

My question is, as I have seen some more English, but younger, I they didn't wear that kind of clothes, what would happen to them in the future?, would they change their jeans for square decorated trousers, their black executive socks for grey cotton socks, their t-shirts for coloured, pictured, shirts?, would they become red and white?

I hope I hadn't hurt anybody, and if I did just please smile, because it's my first attempt to critizise English people and I'm not really sure about their sense of humour, but I guess it'll be funny to them.

Manoel

1 comment:

Colin Davies said...

Hey, Manoel

1. 'Pesado' is 'heavy'. The usage is the same in this case

2. 'square decorated' is 'check' [de cuadros]

3. Please give me back the suit I lent you for the UK. I wouldn't want you to look like an Englishman. Even in England.......

Abur.

C.