Thursday, June 30, 2005

At my job

As I said on the title I’m at my job. I’m typing this as a word document and as soon as I reach home I’ll publish it. First of all I’m dammed bloody bored, I have nothing to do but waiting for something to be finished, but I’ll to explain it a bit.

You know I’m a programmer and also I’m working as it at a bank. We don’t literally work on our computers (you know I got a shared one, it could be considered as mine, but it’s not, although nobody works on it except me), we do everything on a remote computer through a network (I just don’t want to be too technical). All our programming files are on that computer and we use a DOS like environment to type programs and to build them, what could be quite annoying sometimes if you know what I‘m talking about.

Anyway, the problem is that remote computer is not absolutely dedicated to development tasks but also to the real tasks of the bank. A bank has millions, or even more than millions, of tasks at any second. Some of them are fast and small, but some are huge and take a long time to be finished.

As that remote computer is dedicated to that tasks and also those of the real proccesings have more priority (it’s understandable, you need to know your account balance, and transfer money in less than seconds, and go to a cash point to have some money, etc…) means the development process are damm slow. Sometimes I have to wait hours for my jobs to be finished and if I have nothing else to do, or I need that to be finished before I can continue, I just sit here and look at the screen. Sometimes I draw, but that’s too risky in case my boss comes near me.

There are some days in wich working is almost impossible. Specially at the end of the month, when really huge accounting processes starts. They need to do balances, fix small (and sometimes big) problems with accounts, credits, etc… You can’t imagine how many data a bank manages everyday, nor to speak about the money, that’s just unthinkable.

So here I am, typing while I wait for a job of mine to be finished, and it’s the end of the month, so I guess it’ll take three or four hours to be finished. I’m going to be terribly bored today, lucky me? Or unlucky me?

And talking about something different. I went to J&Js yesterday to have some fun, I believe I deserve it sometimes. As always I met some new people, some of them Spanish, some of them English and/or Americans. I always have good times there, if you come to Madrid and you just want to have a chat, a pint or two or meet some interesting (and not that interesting) people, just go there on Wednesdays, Fridays or Saturdays.

It’s amazing to realize how many different accents and ways of speaking you English natives have. Some of them are nice, and some aren’t that nice. Yesterday I met another Liverpolian, but this time it was one with a very strong accent, hardly understandying for a poor Spaniard like me. If it wasn’t that he was saying “fucking” all the time and giving me time to think about what he said, I wouldn’t have catched a word of what he said. He was a nice guy, anyway. I also met a Spaniard who sings “Zarzuela” and he was also nice. No girls this time, they weren’t that friendly last two times I’ve been there, it might be the heat.

Well, nothing else. Farewell and have a good summer. (I wish I could enjoy the beach for a while, I never thought I could miss the beach, bloody hell)

Manoel.

1 comment:

Colin Davies said...

Mano, It's 'Liverpudlian'. Or 'Scouse'.

Ciao.