Sunday, October 24, 2004

3d Week

Hi there.

I hope things are going well for all you. I'm having great times and not that great times as well. That's good news, I guess. I tried for the very first time Sushi and just that worths have came here.

As time passes I notice the differences between Spaniards and English. There are some, but I still believe I need more time to notice them all. One of them is coffe. In all the houses I've been it's not very common to have sugar, because they don't have tea with sugar as I do, and because they don't normally drink coffe that much. While in Spain coffe is really common, as common as tea in England. So, as I'm a coffe drinker I had to buy sugar twice. I could have coffe on Starbucks, or in any other shop/bar, but I really like to have my first coffe just after I wake up.

Another thing I want to talk is trash. I know it isn't something you'll like to talk about, but I'm amazed about something. There's only two days a week in wich the trash lorries comes to collect the trash bags, while in my town (and I guess in the whole Spain) it's everyday. That sounds a bit weird for me. I know they have dettached and semidettached houses here, so they can put the bags beside the front door, there's no need for them to leave the bags inside the house. I also know this is quite a cold country, so the bags don't really smell a lot. But I was also told they pay a lot to the council for those services, much more than in Spain. They don't also have a lot of time for cleaning the house, so now I know why Spaniards believe English are dirty. If they go to houses in wich they have trash bags outside the house, on the front door, and they leave them there for days, and also they don't clean the house so often (because of time problems) they'll find them dirty for sure. But I also look at the whys and know the answer of those whys, so I believe they aren't that dirty, it's just they can't be more clean, it's impossible.

There's some other things, small things that makes life in England different. The bed sheets are different and bed sizes as well, and also pillows. They eat those full english breakfasts that are horrible for me, because I can't eat in the morning, it's impossible I promise, I'll vomit just trying. And also the marmite (yeast extract) wich does smell great but taste not that great for me, it's too strong. But they love it. Muffins, a lot of different bread, tea, and something called fruit squash, food is different, especially on breakfast time. Evry shop in England has millions of different things I didn't even know they exist.

Species, prepared oriental (and not oriental) sauces, noodles, pre-cooked oriental meals... But there's something we don't normally have in Spain (except at Colin's house) and it's kettles. I find them useful. If you need to prepare coffe, tea, pasta, just need a few minutes to boil the water. Why on the bloody earth we don't have them in Spain? It's not that I want to preapare tea, but for pasta and coffe they're great.

So food is different, and also food habits and timing. I'm still not used to English timing, and I'm having my lunch at different times everyday so my body is not used to anything. But I still can't have Full English Breakfast.

Well, I'm stoping now, I hope I'll still finding differences so I can continue writing. The language differences aren't valid here, we all know we speak different languages. (But I could tell you about what's rude and what's not rude here, but I think I need more time for that).

Reagards.

Manoel.

No comments: