Thursday, October 28, 2004

The weirdest City

Hi there.

One of the first things I noticed about London is how weird is it constructed. The fact is you can find any kind of building style on any street or borough. I mean, you just walk on London Bridge and see this horrible factory-type building that belongs to Lloyds TSB, and in front of it a very wonderful and gorgeous classic house. And then if you walk a bit more you find that egg-shape new building. That's something you'll notice on every street, and as I said on other posts it's impossible not to find a gorgeous building to look at. That's why I really love walking on London, better than using the tube (of course I do both). But even when my feet are suffering from horrible pain I keep on walking because if I don't I'm sure I'll miss something really interesting.

And you also have those luxurious hotels, with the guys with the hat and the suit at the door to help you with the luggage. That's something we don't have in my town, where the most approximate to that is an old chap dressed with an old suit who can't really manage to carry your small suitcase and finally you carry everything 'cause you feel guilty. I'll fancy to stay one night on one of those hotels, but I'm sure they are prohibittly expensive (does that expression exists in English?).

There's something I found interesting. Those big white limos with dark windows. I always wonder who is inside them. It might be a famous and/or rich guy or chick, a gorgeous girl, a politician (I won't say anything good about them), or even a group of drunken chav chicks on a stag night (is it spelled like that?). But that's what makes limos with black windows exciting, as Forrest Gump said: "Limos are like a chocolates box, you never know what you are going to find.". I wish one of them stop in front of me, pull down the window and ask me to go in. The problem with that could be either chav chicks, or an old chap (or mis) that wants me, I don't really know what would be worst.

There's something else I find weird. As well with the buildings are people clothings. You can find a guy dressed with an armani suit sitting on the tube beside a punk style mate. Or that old woman with green hair, green skirt, green and red striped long socks, and trainers beside another one dressed entirely by DKNY. I feel I bit weirdo too, as I'm just normally dressed, I don't have a particular style, just normal, so I guess that in fact I'm the less normal here, and that makes me happy.

So if I had to find a short sentence to describe London it might be "the city of contrasts".

Anyway, I feel very humorous today as you can notice.

Have a great time.

Manoel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'stag night' - perfect,

but 'prohibitively expensive'

You make me miss London! You're right - there's no city more fascinating.

Faye