Friday, October 08, 2004

Such a wonderful place

How can anybody describe what London is? Just a big city? The answer of last question is NO.

I don't think New York is like London. You just walk around the city and everything is amazing. The people, the buildings, the food, everything. For a poor little boy from Pontevedra it's such a big new world to discover. Of course I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes, but I think it's just a question of time to feel better and to estabilish.

And what about the museums, I don't have enough words to describe them. But I'll just say English stole a lot of things from other cultures and countries in the past, so you can see all of them distributed in more than 4 big buildings. And I also could see a mummie!!

I said Londoniers are cold, and they really are cold in the tube and the streets, they just walk as fast as they can so they don't miss next train, and then they sit without smiling at all, looking to nowhere, reading a newspaper. It's said it's rude to look at people in the tube, and it might be, but I can't do it, you know I love to look at people.

I saw my first chavs this week and I can only say OHOHOOHGGGGG!!!. They're even worst than spanish chavs. And I also went shopping (the thing I most hate) and I could see more chavs and chavs clothes. Clothing, that's something I could talk a lot. I saw English clothes at shops, and I can only say they're chavier (I believe I have just invented a word) than anything in Spain. So the believe of English being not really stylish might be true. I'll check later.

I'm also having my first English night. I was amazed to hear we'll be back at home at 12 or 1 more or less. They say you have to drink as fast as you can so you can enjoy the rest of the night, so you start drinking at 7PM and you only have 5 hours to dance, talk and find girls. I hope it'll be enough for a poor Spaniard.

Ok, let's finish it. I'll talk more and more later because there's so many things to say I won't ever finish.

Hope you're having such a nice time as I'm.

Cheers to everybody.

Manoel.

4 comments:

Colin Davies said...

Hey, Mano. Good to hear that you are enjoying some of London's jewels, even if they were stolen.

It's not so different on the Madrid metro by the way. No one has ever smiled at or spoken to me on that. And when I tried it, I was arrested for 'mobbing'! Only joking, of course.

Anonymous said...

Hello Manoel,
I have started reading your London blog, after being directed to it from Colins blog site. It seems your warming to the place even though the temperature will drop at least another 10deg over the next 2 weeks and the people even colder! I have lived in London for 3 years and my fiancee for 7, the binge drinking culture takes a little getting use to but it's easy enough to adapt to, if your willing! Anyway, wish you all the best.
Brendan.

Anonymous said...

a

Anonymous said...

I am an English chav and I just want to say that I resent your comment that we are worse than Spanish chavs! The whole point about being a chav is that you annoy the middle classes with your dress and attitude. If you think that we are more repulsive than Spanish chavs, then obviously we are doing things BETTER than them!!